On Monday I asked my husband what he would like for Valentine’s Day dinner and he replied, “Fish sticks, smashed potatoes, and baked beans from a can.”
I guess it just goes to show that one man’s treat is another man’s…not.
We buy packaged food so rarely that stuff like fish sticks and tinned beans have taken on the status of treats for my guy, and I’m fine with that. His tastes are very simple and he’s been a really good sport about the changes we’ve made to our diet in the past year or so. If he wants fish sticks for Valentine’s Day, he’s going to get them. It made a nice evening for me too, because supper involved so little preparation.
The rest of our week has been pretty routine. There was lots of comfort food on the menu; the kind of food I can put together without even opening a cookbook. I did try something new though: I made flour tortillas for the first time. It was fun. I’ll be making them again.
We bought very little food this week. Even with the big guy’s Valentine menu, our total expenditures came to $12.89, brining our total for the month to $96.14. That’s 64% of our $150.00 budget for the month.
Here’s what we ate last week:
Monday, February 13:
- Breakfast – Granola and yogurt, canned pears and blackberries
- Supper – Avocado, tomato and egg sandwiches on toasted multigrain bread, minestrone, soft oatmeal cookies
Tuesday, February 14:
- Breakfast – Raisin scones, brie, apple slices
- Supper – Fish sticks, smashed potatoes, tinned beans, canned cherries
Wednesday, February 15:
- Breakfast – Oatmeal and applesauce
- Supper – Chicken and potato pie, steamed peas and cabbage, oranges
Thursday, February 16:
- Breakfast out
- Supper – Quesadillas made with homemade wheat and white flour tortillas, leftover vegetarian red bean chili (from the freezer), and shredded cheddar cheese, carrot sticks, apples
Friday, February 17:
- Breakfast – Yogurt and canned peaches
- Supper – Soft boiled eggs, toast soldiers, and grilled tomatoes
Saturday, February 18:
- Breakfast – Peanut butter and banana sandwiches on whole wheat bread
- Supper – Pot roast and gravy, potato scones, peas and corn, oat rich chocolate cake
Sunday, February 19:
- Breakfast – Applesauce bran muffins (from the freezer), sliced cheddar
- Supper – Caramelized onions and cubed leftover pot in pot roast gravy, brown rice, sautéed carrots and sweet bell peppers (from the freezer), leftover chocolate cake.