The first week of our “no spend” challenge went quite well. We ate mostly from the pantry and deep freeze, walked for our errands, and stayed close to home for most of the week. (The wet weather was a help with this. I usually want to cozy down on the couch when it’s rainy outside.)
Fall weather has us craving comfort food and this week was no exception. Our slow cooker saw good use, and we made a pot of soup too.
Cooler temperatures provided me incentive to bake. Besides our weekly bread, I made two cakes this week – an applesauce spice cake and bara brith (a Welsh tea cake) – two batches of muffins, and some cookies.
The baking helped to warm the house up and also perfumed the air with lots of lovely scents. Few things smell cozier than the aroma of something baking in the oven; a nice bonus when the house is shut up tight against the weather.
Here’s what we ate this week:
Monday, October 22:
- Breakfast – Oatmeal with raisins, cinnamon, brown sugar, and homemade yogurt
- Supper – Puffy omelette with cheddar and chives, green salad with homemade 1000 Island dressing, date and nut pudding cake
Tuesday, October 23:
- Breakfast – Boiled eggs, multigrain toast, homemade peach jam
- Supper – Slow cooker roast chicken, potatoes and carrots cooked with the chicken, steamed cabbage, pears canned in brown sugar syrup with ginger
Wednesday, October 24:
- Breakfast – Peanut butter, raisin, and marmalade sandwiches on multigrain bread
- Supper – Leftover chicken breast heated in gravy made from Tuesday’s pan drippings and caramelized onions served over rice fried in sesame oil with onions, bell pepper, celery, and broccoli, leftover date and nut pudding cake
Thursday, October 25:
- Breakfast – Oatmeal and applesauce
- Supper – I was not feeling well so I had tea and toast. My fella ate leftovers.
Friday, October 26:
- Breakfast – Homemade yogurt and canned cherries
- Supper – Poached eggs served over cheese grits with spinach and oven roasted tomatoes, bara brith (Welsh tea cake)
Saturday, October 27:
Sunday, October 28:
- Breakfast – Soft boiled eggs, applesauce bran muffins, left over canned peaches from Saturday’s supper
- Supper – Neptune’s pasta, made with home canned salmon, coleslaw made with cabbage, carrots, onion, and red wine vinaigrette, the last of the bara brith, cubed, toasted under the broiler and served with custard sauce