We're starting to see some spring treats in our menus now, and I'm so pleased. It's still a long road to the abundance of summertime but it sure makes a nice change to enjoy some asparagus or - as we did this week - the first of the season's rhubarb.
We also enjoyed a rather wonderful gift from our son-in-law: A huge package of prawns that he caught himself from the cold, fast moving waters near Campbell River, about 3 hours drive north of where we live. They were glorious! Big and sweet, and there were so many of them that I was able to put some of the extras by in the freezer to enjoy another day.
Here's what we ate last week:
Monday, April 8:
- Breakfast - Boiled eggs, whole wheat toast, oranges
- Supper - Slightly Disheveled Joseph with sweet potato biscuits (from the freezer), a salad of romaine, red onion, pickled beets, and chick peas with homemade 1000 Island dressing. Jammy shortbread macaroon bars for dessert.
Tuesday, April 9:
- Breakfast - Homemade Greek style yogurt and applesauce
- Supper - Tea and whole wheat toast for me. (I was sick.) Hot dogs, home canned baked beans, and Kettle chips for my fella.
Wednesday, April 10:
- Breakfast - Oatmeal and applesauce
- Supper - Cauliflower and potato soup, cheddar corn muffins, pears in brown sugar syrup with ginger.
Thursday, April 11:
- Breakfast - Whole wheat toast, cream cheese (from the freezer), apples
- Supper - Neptune's pasta made with prawns my son-in-law caught, a salad of Romaine, sunflower shoots, grated beets, onion, and a nasturtium and garlic vinaigrette, homemade mocha frozen yogurt.
Friday, April 12:
- Breakfast - Whole wheat English muffins and peanut butter
- Supper - Homemade pizza with a garlic and oregano focaccia crust topped with homemade tomato sauce, onions, spinach, crumbled bacon, kalamata olives, more of those wonderful prawns from my son-in-law, feta and mozzarella. Rhubarb and apple harvest cake for dessert, served warm, topped with stewed rhubarb.
Saturday, April 13:
- Breakfast - Leftover pizza
- Supper - Brown rice and kidney beans, shredded carrot, radish, and apple slaw, and a parfait made with leftover harvest cake, homemade Greek style yogurt, and stewed rhubarb.
Sunday, April 14:
- Breakfast - Apple slices and cheddar
- Supper - Veggie burgers made with Saturday's leftover brown rice and kidney beans seasoned with cumin and chili powder, served on homemade multigrain buns, a salad of romaine, shredded red cabbage, pea shoots, and chives from my sister-in-law's garden dressed with pickle juice vinaigrette, canned peaches.