I missed my menu post last week due to illness, so today I'm posting two week's worth of meals. I'm still working on more recipe links. I'll be adding more during the week. When I do add a new link, I'll post a note on my Facebook page to let people know. In the meantime, this should get us off to a good start. :^)
On the 12th I did a quick total of my grocery expenditures for the month and realized that I was running over budget. Looking back on what we'd eaten I realized that there were several reasons for the over-run: I'd used quite a few fresh tomatoes despite the fact that they're not in season, dairy prices have gone up yet again, we'd treated ourselves to both a steak dinner and a rotisserie chicken, and we'd had company.
Since there was still a lot of month left and no money in the budget, I cut back on yogurt and cheese, and on meat. I also made most of our meals from items I had stored in my freezer and pantry.
I did stray from my plan on Christmas Eve because Jack had been asking for sausage rolls for days. He'd been so good about our very plain, gift free Christmas that I wanted to indulge him with this one small treat.
We revised our Christmas dinner plan, cooking steaks and green beans from the freezer and potatoes and Brussels sprouts from our Good Food Box. It was not what we'd originally planned, but it was delicious.
We are still over budget. You can't un-spend food money, but at least we're not as badly over budget as we might be.
Here's what we ate.
Monday, December 12:
- Breakfast - Oatmeal, mandarin oranges
- Supper - Baked eggs in tomatoes, veggie hash, apple crisp
Tuesday, December 13:
- Breakfast - Coffee cake
- Supper - Fried egg and tomato sandwiches on toasted wholewheat bread, carrot and celery sticks, apples
Wednesday, December 14:
- Breakfast - Applesauce bran muffins (from the freezer), sliced cheddar, mandarin oranges
- Supper - Chili (from the freezer), brown rice, canned peaches
Thursday, December 15:
- Breakfast - Chili (yes, we did like it that much :), wholewheat toast
- Supper - Cabbage, carrot, onion, and bell pepper stir fry with garlic black bean sauce, soba noodles, mandarin oranges
Friday, December 16:
- Breakfast - Oatmeal, canned pears
- Supper - Pot roast, carrots, rutabaga, and potatoes slow cooked with onions, garlic, and rosemary, applesauce for dessert
Saturday, December 17:
- Breakfast - Eggs, toast, apples
- Supper - Pot roast pie, steamed green beans (from the freezer), mandarin oranges
Sunday, December 18:
- Breakfast - Johnny cake, warm applesauce
- Lunch (We had guests so it was our main meal) - Chicken vegetable, and orzo soup, grilled cheese sandwiches, vegetable plate of red and yellow peppers, carrot sticks, radishes, and black olives, chocolate orange cookies.
Monday, December 19:
- Breakfast - Oatmeal, mandarin oranges
- Supper - Cream of celery soup, apple and cheddar muffins (from the freezer) and, for dessert, a baked pear with an oatmeal and maple cookie crust.
Tuesday, December 20:
- Breakfast - Applesauce bran muffins (from the freezer), mandarin oranges
- Supper - Spinach and brown rice pancakes, salad of lettuce, shredded carrot, pickled beets, and garbanzo beans with homemade thousand island dressing, canned peaches
Wednesday, December 21:
- Breakfast - Pineapple and carrot muffins, pears
- Bennys made with the leftover spinach and potato pancakes, salad of shredded carrots and radishes with an herb vinaigrette, apples
Thursday, December 22:
- Breakfast - Apple slices, cheddar cheese, whole wheat toast
- Supper - Boiled ham, baked potatoes, steamed carrots and corn
Friday, December 23:
- Breakfast - eggs, whole wheat toast, mandarin oranges
- Salad of romaine lettuce, onion, and pickled red cabbage, refried beans, baked whole wheat tortilla chips.
Saturday, December 24:
- Breakfast - Oatmeal and applesauce
- Supper - Sausage rolls, coleslaw with cider vinegar dressing, mandarin oranges
Sunday, December 25:
- Breakfast at my brother's house. He cooked and it was really good. :^)
- Supper - Rib steaks, Brussels sprouts in cheese sauce, mashed potatoes, steamed green beans, Snickerdoodles.