Monday 9 January 2012

What We Ate, January 2 - January 8


Good (cheap) Eats, Tammy’s Recipes, Balancing Beauty and Bedlam, The Finer Things in Life, and Getting Freedom From Debt are hosting a pantry challenge this month.  Since I’d already decided to cook mostly from our pantry and freezer in order to keep our budget in line, I decided to play along.  It’s good to do these things with a group.  You get support in sticking to your plan, and the other participants bring different ideas to the table: ideas that might not otherwise have come to mind. 

I also tried a dish suggested by one of my readers this week.  I always appreciate getting suggestions from people who read my blogs or follow my Facebook page.   There are many good cooks among them.  I love to learn new things.

I did do some grocery shopping this week because we were low on frozen vegetables, and I wanted to include cottage cheese and yogurt in our meals.  Still, I think I did a pretty good job of using what we had on hand.

Here’s what we ate this week:

Monday, January 2:

  • Breakfast – Apple and cheddar muffins, stewed rhubarb (from the freezer)
  • Supper – Steamed cabbage, roasted carrots, beets, and potatoes, béchamel sauce infused with baked onion and nutmeg, gingerbread and warm applesauce for dessert.

Tuesday, January 3;

  • Breakfast – Parsley and chive biscuits (from the freezer), boiled eggs, apples
  • Supper – Grilled bratwurst (from the freezer), carrot and raisin salad, brown rice, apple and cranberry pie (cranberries from the freezer).

Wednesday, January 4:


Thursday, January 5:

  • Breakfast – Homemade granola, mandarin oranges
  • Supper – Lyne Minshull’s tuna noodle dish (see note below), canned cherries

Lyne Minshull made a post on my Facebook wall that said “Hi Aunt B! I just saw an interesting recipe that looks inexpensive and is a variation on the old tuna noodle casserole. It is Pesto Penne with tuna. 1 pkg penne, 2 cans tuna, 1/2 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes and 2/3 cup pesto (which I made and froze last summer). Cook penne, drain, add all other stuff (including broth/oil from tuna). Serves 4 but could easily be halved. Easy!" 



I had neither basil pesto nor sun dried tomatoes but I did have arugula pasto and fresh grape tomatoes  so I made linguine, roasted grape tomatoes, and arugula pesto. It was really good! :)

Friday, January 6:


Saturday, January 7:


Sunday, January 8:

_____________________________
image source:willows95988.typepad.com

No comments: