Monday 23 January 2012

What We Ate, January 16 - January 22


It’s been an interesting week in our little corner of the world.  We had colder temperatures than we’ve had yet this winter and, in our temperate climate, that poses some interesting challenges.  The snow melted enough during the afternoons to refreeze in the nights into sheets of solid black ice.  Drivers here are unaccustomed to driving on slippery roads and many cars are not equipped with snow tires.  It’s a good time to stay off the roads but, as I learned the hard way, you need to step carefully on the sidewalks too.

Last weekend I rounded the corner at the end of our street, hit some black ice and  my feet went out from under me.  It was one of those cartoon pratfalls where your whole body is actually up in the air.  You have enough time to think “This is going to hurt!” before you come crashing to the ground. 

I don’t bounce as well as I used to and I have the deep bruises, twisted ankle, and cracked ribs to prove it.  My menus reflected this.  There were lots of simple, easy to prepare dishes on our table this week.

Monday was Good Food Box day so we didn’t need to buy produce, but I bought oranges anyway.  Sunkist navel oranges were on sale for a very good price (10 pounds for $4.99).  They’ll carry us through until next month's Good Food Box day. 

Every Good Food Box comes with some produce that needs to be dealt with almost immediately.  It’s the stuff I first build meals around.  We used the romaine lettuce for lunches and one dinner salad.  I cooked all of the spinach, and all of the cauliflower.  I used the cauliflower for four meals:  a vegetable curry, a vegetable stir-fry with orange ginger sauce, a cream of vegetable soup, and roasted along with potatoes.  Some of the spinach went into the freezer.

I bought some dairy products.  I was craving cottage cheese and it was on sale so I bought two tubs.  They’ll carry us to the end of the month.  I also bought a tub of plain yogurt to use for Monday’s orange lassis.  I used it again in my Twice Baked Tuna Melt potatoes.

Our dark weather prevented me from taking many photos for my blog this week.  The weatherman tells us we’re to expect brighter skies in the days to come, so look for more links to this post as the week progresses.

Here’s what we ate this week:

Monday:


Tuesday:
  • Breakfast – Went out to a restaurant with a visiting family member. 
  • Supper – Grilled keilbasa, boiled potatoes, steamed carrots and corn, cherry crisp


Wednesday:
  • Breakfast – Applesauce bran muffins, oranges
  • Supper – Oven baked chicken strips with plum sauce for dipping, fried rice made with leftover veggies and some brown rice from the freezer, vegetable stir fry with orange ginger sauce, ginger crinkle cookies from the freezer.


Thursday:


Friday:


Saturday:


Sunday:
  • Breakfast – Oatmeal, bananas
  • Supper – Spinach and cheddar omelettes, salad of romaine lettuce with shredded carrots, and pickled beets with homemade Thousand Island dressing, leftover apple cinnamon cake.


No comments: