Last week was a really interesting week. We were fortunate enough to have visits from several friends and I got to have a picture taking outing to Victoria. All that visiting and going out and about meant I spent less time than I usually do in the kitchen. At the same time, an awareness that we'd exceeded our grocery budget prompted me to rely heavily on "shopping from my pantry."
Despite spending less time on cooking and less money on groceries, we ate very well. Here's what we ate from December 26 to January 1:
Monday, December 26:
- Breakfast - Oatmeal, mandarin oranges
- Supper - We had guests. I made three kinds of pizza made with crusts made from olive bread dough from our freezer. For dessert we had lovely baked goods kindly provided by our friends.
Tuesday, December 27:
- Breakfast - Almost Whole Wheat Pancakes topped with warm peach topping.
- Supper - Beef and ginger stir fry made with cabbage, carrots, green pepper, onion and leftover steak, brown rice, apple slices tossed in lime juice.
Wednesday, December 28:
- Breakfast - Homemade granola, mandarin oranges
- Supper - Night off. We foraged for ourselves, reheating leftovers from the fridge.
Thursday, December 29:
- Breakfast - Eggs, toast, apples
- Supper - Spaghettini alla Ceci, salad of celery, carrot, and radishes with herb vinaigrette, canned cherries for dessert
Friday, December 30:
- Breakfast - Raisin scones, applesauce
- Supper - Vegetable bean soup with parsley and chive dumplings
Saturday, December 31:
- Breakfast - Pumpkin pudding with whipped cream and granola (I made this for dessert on Friday night but neither of us ate dessert so we had it for breakfast.)
- Supper - Hummus, homemade flatbreads, carrot and celery sticks, mandarin oranges
Sunday, January 1:
- Breakfast - Oatmeal, canned peaches
- Supper - Cheddar cheese omelettes, risotto with Italian style stewed tomatoes, onions, frozen peas, leftover pumpkin pudding for dessert.