Sunday 29 April 2012

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Crisps



I usually bake soft oatmeal cookies with raisins in them but we were running low on raisins last week.  We did have chocolate chips though, and some coconut, so I thumbed through my cookbooks seeking inspiration.  I found it in Marion Cunningham’s Oatmeal Crisp recipe, from the Fanny Farmer Baking Book.


I made a couple of changes:

Ms. Cunningham’s recipe called for nutmeg and chopped nuts.  I omitted both from my cookies but added coconut and chocolate chips.  

Ms. Cunningham instructs bakers to roll the uncooked cookies in granulated sugar.  I felt this made the cookies too sweet so I chose to omit that step.

These cookies really are crisp.  They made a nice change in texture from what we're used to.  I’m thinking that maybe next time I’ll make them thinner and a little larger and use them for ice cream sandwiches. 

To make Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Crisps, you’ll need:



  • 3 cups of uncooked, large flake oatmeal (not instant oatmeal)
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1-1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
  • 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips

Spread the oatmeal out on two large, flat baking sheets and toast it in a preheated 350˚F oven for about 15 minutes, stirring it occasionally, until it turns light brown.  Allow it to cool to room temperature.  If you want to, you can toast the coconut too.  I didn’t.


In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar.  Beat the eggs and add them in, together with the vanilla extract.  Beat the mixture until it’s light and fluffy.


Whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda.  Add them to the butter mixture and stir until completely mixed.


Stir in the toasted oatmeal, coconut, and chocolate chips, mixing until just combined. 


Cover the bowl and refrigerate the dough for at least two hours.  When you’re ready to bake, roll cookie-sized portions of the dough between the palms of your hands to form them into balls.  Place them on ungreased cookie sheets, about an inch and a half apart.

Using your moistened fingertips or the bottom of a wet glass, flatten each cookie into a disk about 1/3 inch thick.


Bake the cookies at 350˚F for about 10 minutes, until the edges are a light caramel colour.


Let them sit on the baking sheet for a couple of minutes to firm up, then transfer them to a sheet of brown paper and allow them to cool completely.
_____________________________________
This recipe is linked to Hearth and Soul Blog Hop hosted by Premeditated Housewife, The 21st Century Housewife, Zesty South Indian Kitchen, Penniless Parenting, Savoring Today, and Elsa Cooks.

4 comments:

April J Harris said...

I like both soft and crisp cookies, it's nice to have variety! Your Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Crisps certainly do look delicious. I always like an oatmeal cookie because I can kid myself they are good for me :-)

Aunt B said...

lol! :) I kid myself like that too. My guy is a cookie monster. If I don't bake, he'll go out and buy cookies. I tell myself that if I bake them myself, at least I have some control over the quality of the ingredients.

Alea Milham said...

I think this take on oatmeal cookies my even be better that traditional oatmeal cookies! They really sound good!

Aunt B said...

Thanks Alea. :) They made a nice change.