Friday 27 April 2012

Pineapple Ginger Muffins


I like my ginger.  I like it in savoury dishes and I like it in sweet.  I like ginger tea and I like crystallized ginger as a snack, the way some folks eat candy.  It should be no surprise then, that when I was looking for something to bake for breakfast the other day, ginger muffins came to mind.

 I decided to flavour my muffins with a combination of crushed pineapple and crystallized ginger.  The resulting muffin was moist, with a BIG ginger flavour.  This is not a muffin to choose for breakfast if you’re not a ginger fan...But then, who isn’t a ginger fan?  ;^)

To make Pineapple Ginger Muffins, you’ll need:



  • 3/4 cup drained crushed pineapple (reserve the juice)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup canola or sunflower oil
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup pineapple juice
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 cup finely diced crystallized ginger

Combine the crushed pineapple, egg, oil, sugar, and pineapple juice.  Stir until well mixed.

In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ground ginger.  I use a whisk to mix them together.  Stir until well combined.  Add in the crystallized ginger and mix it through until all the little ginger pieces are separated and lightly coated in flour.

Add the flour mixture into the pineapple mixture and stir just until the two are combined.  Don’t over mix.  The batter should be slightly lump.


Spoon the batter into an oiled muffin pan, filling each cup right to the top. 


Bake the muffins for about 25 minutes at 350˚F. 


Let them cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes before serving them.  (They’re really delicious with a little marmalade.)

When the muffins have cooled to room temperature, they can be stored in an airtight container and either used within a couple of days or stored in the freezer.
________________________________
This post is linked to Gallery of Favorites hosted by The 21st Century Housewife and Premeditated Leftovers, to Think Pink Sundays hosted by Flamingo Toes, to Church Suppers hosted by Everyday Mom's Meals, to Making Mondays Marvelous hosted by C.R.A.F.T., to Recipe Party @ The Sweet Spot hosted by The Sweet Spot and Crunchy Mamacita, to Link it up Wednesday hosted by {Junk in their Trunk}, and to Cast Party Wednesday hosted by Lady Behind the Curtain.



Gallery of Favorites     Everyday Mom's Meals  

  The Sweet Spot
{Junk in their Trunk}   Cast Party Wednesday

12 comments:

April J Harris said...

Your muffins look wonderful! Pineapple and ginger are such a lovely combination, and I like that you have used both ground and crystallised ginger. These muffins would be gorgeous with a nice hot cup of tea or coffee.

Aunt B said...

Thank you April. I'm glad you like the recipe. I do enjoy these with a cup of tea. :)

Angie's Recipes said...

What awesome tropic muffins! And yes, it's great with a pot of freshly brewed tea.
I wish you a wonderful weekend!
Angie

Aunt B said...

Thanks Angie. I hope you have a wonderful weekend too. :)

Natalia Lynn said...

Oh this looks delicious! I love pineapple, I'll have to give it a try!

Aunt B said...

Thanks for stopping by to check it out Natalia. :) Enjoy.

Unknown said...

Aunt B,

Huge ginger fan here. I've paired it with pears before, but never pineapple. How fun!

I'm visiting from the CRAFT link party. I would if you stopped by my blog.

Thanks for sharing,
Laura

Aunt B said...

Thanks for stopping by Laura. I'm glad you like the recipe. :) I've pinned the kit kat cake from your blog for use for one of the many family birthdays we are celebrating this month.

Alea Milham said...

What a delicious combination of flavors! I have a couple of recipes that only use 1/2 a can of crushed pineapple. This recipe (made gluten-free) would be the perfect way to use up the last bit of pineapple.

Aunt B said...

Thank you Alea. I must confess that using up leftover pineapple was one of my motivations for making it. :)

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

I switched these up a bit, using home-canned apples and their liquid instead of the pineapple and pineapple juice. I also tossed in about 1/2 cup of cooked steel cut oats to use them up. There were great for breakfast!

Aunt B said...

That sounds great Annie. I like apples and oats in my muffins too, and they'd be great with the ginger.