Sunday 15 April 2012

Greens 'n' Eggs Pizza


I think everyone has a couple of meals in their repertoire for which they almost always have the ingredients.  Usually they are what Rachel Ray calls “BLD’s:” Dishes suitable for use as breakfast, lunch, or dinner.    Usually, they’re based on a family favourite.  Often, they’re inexpensive to make.

Greens and eggs pizza is one of those go-to dishes for me.  I try to keep single serving pizza crusts in the freezer, together with a bag of shredded mozzarella and edam cheese.  I freeze individual portions of tomato sauce in ice cube trays.  We always have some sort of dark green leafy vegetable on hand, and (thanks to my sister-in-law) we always have eggs.  That’s everything I need to make this dish.

It may seem an odd combination of ingredients but the finished pizza is flavourful, nutritious, and filling.  We enjoy it very much.

For each  Greens and Eggs Pizza, you’ll need:


  • An individual-sized  (8 inch diameter) pizza shell
  • 1 to 1-1/2 Tablespoons tomato sauce (either homemade or store bought)
  • 1/2 cup chopped, cooked greens (I used dandelion greens but they’re quite strongly flavoured.  Spinach would be a good entry level choice.)
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella and edam cheese (or the cheese of your choice)
  • 2 eggs
  • freshly ground black pepper

I line my baking pan with parchment.  You can skip this step but I find it really helps with the after-dinner clean up.


Place your pizza shell on the pan and spread a thin layer of tomato sauce on the shell.


Top the tomato sauce with cooked, chopped greens.


Add the cheese.  (I like a lot.  You can use as much or as little as you want.)


Crack the eggs on top of the pizza, near the center, and then season them with the pepper.


Bake the pizza at 350˚F until the eggs are cooked the way you like them.  Serve it as soon as it comes out of the oven.
____________________________________
This post is linked to Hearth and Soul Blog Hop hosted by The 21st Century Housewife, Premeditated Leftovers, Zesty South Indian Kitchen, and Penniless Parenting, and to Link It Up Wednesday hosted by {Junk in Their Trunk}

Hearth & Soul Hop   {Junk in their Trunk}

8 comments:

Camille said...

I was just reading an article about adding eggs to pizza. I've never done it but I do love eggs on hamburgers! :-)

Aunt B said...

I wish I could claim credit for the idea but Jamie Oliver's been doing it for years. He started to make pizzas with eggs on them at the end of the night baking shift in his restaurant. He and the baker would use the last of the night's dough to make an egg topped pizza for their breakfast.

I love eggs on burgers too. And on waffles, and asparagus, and some kinds of pasta...Verstaile food, the egg. :)

Unknown said...

Great idea! I love Jamie Oliver but I had not heard this idea before. I am gluten dairy and soy free, so pizza has become something there is no way I could make... but with this I could do a GF base, leave out the cheese and just have the eggs instead, more of a quiche then than a pizza, but oh well! Closer than anything else so far!

Aunt B said...

Thank you Rachel. I'm glad it offers a pizza option that will work for you. :) I know how frustrating dietary restrictions can be.

April J Harris said...

It is amazing how delicious an egg (or two) on top makes pizza! Your Greens n Eggs pizza looks delicious.

Aunt B said...

Thank you April. I do enjoy an egg added to many savoury dishes. :)

Alea Milham said...

I have made pizza for breakfast, but I have never added eggs to a pizza before. What a wonderful idea, one that is sure to be popular with my kids.

Aunt B said...

Thanks Alea! I hope the kids enjoy them.