It was an odd sort of week at our house this week. We were both feeling out of sorts; not sick enough to say we had the 'flu, but lacking in energy and just generally cranky. It was a week for curling up on the couch with a book, or watching TV, or enjoying long soaks in the tub.
It was a week for comfort food.
There were lots of simple dishes on the menu this week, most of them made from what pantry and freezer items. Very little shopping was done.
We did treat ourselves to one special meal: an eggs Benedict variation made with potato and onion latkes, grilled tomato, steamed spinach, poached eggs, and an onion and gouda sauce. It took a little fussing to put it together but it was fabulous and - I'm proud to say - made from what we had on hand at the time.
Here's what we ate last week:
Monday, January 14:
- Breakfast - Boiled eggs and wholewheat toast
- Supper - Rice and bean burritos made with wheat and white tortillas, a salad of pea shoots (grown on my windowsill), shredded carrots, shredded radish, red onion, and homemade ranch dressing, leftover gingerbread cake with homemade eggnog ice cream for dessert
Tuesday, January 15:
- Breakfast - Oatmeal and applesauce
- Supper - "Bennys" made with potato and onion latkes, grilled tomatoes, steamed spinach, poached eggs and an onion and gouda sauce, sauteed bell peppers (from the freezer), brûléed orange halves topped with a little whipped cream
Wednesday, January 16:
Thursday, January 17:
Friday, January 18:
Saturday, January 19:
- Breakfast - Peanut butter, marmalade, and raisin sandwiches on wholewheat toast
- Supper - Stir fry of broccoli, red cabbage, bell peppers, carrots, and onion in black bean sauce, vegetable gyoza with a hoisin and oyster sauce for dipping, green tea and ginger cookies
Sunday, January 20: