So, you're going along, following your regular routine - going to work, doing the chores, trying to fit in some exercise - and WHAM!, along comes the 'flu.
That's what happened to us this week. I only took one day off work because of it, but it took a big bite right out of the middle of the week, eating up much of my ambition and sending me to bed at a ridiculously early hour.
Sick tummies dictated our dinners on Thursday and Friday but by Saturday it appeared the 'flu bug had moved on. We returned to our usual routine.
I even cooked a proper turkey dinner last night! We're looking forward to enjoying the leftovers over the next few days.
Here's what we ate last week:
Monday, January 21:
- Breakfast - Yogurt and applesauce
- Supper - Portabella burgers on homemade foccacia buns with sunflower shoot garnish, oven baked parsnip fries, red cabbage, carrot, and radish slaw, butterscotch pudding
Tuesday, January 22:
- Breakfast - Homemade granola
- Supper - Venison and black bean chili (made with home canned black beans), mashed potatoes, a salad of sunflower shoots, carrot, and red onion with a red wine vinaigrette, Pumpkin Not Chocolate drinks made with honey instead of stevia
Wednesday, January 23:
- Breakfast - Soft boiled eggs, whole wheat toast, apples
- Supper - Borscht made with leftover sweet and sour cabbage, homemade stock and home canned beets, biscuits, applesauce pie
Thursday, January 24 (sick day):
- Breakfast - Tea and wholewheat toast
- Supper - Steamed white rice, carrots, and peas
Friday, January 25:
- Breakfast - Yogurt and canned pears
- Supper - Boneless, skinless chicken thighs poached in homemade chicken stock, gravy made from the thickened poaching liquid, leftover steamed rice, spinach, corn (from the freezer), applesauce
Saturday, January 26: