Monday 14 January 2013

What We Ate, January 7 - 13


Isn't it great when you can cook a dish one day and planned leftovers can carry you for another two?  

We did that last week with slow cooker roast chicken.  I cooked it on Tuesday, and we made supper from the leftovers on Wednesday and Thursday.  We got a lunch out of it too, and the carcass is in the freezer awaiting my next batch of chicken stock.

We made good use of our pantry and freezer stocks this week too.  I've taken on a few hours of extra work each week, after my regular office job, and it's leaving me less time to prepare supper.  The baking I did before Christmas and stashed away is standing us in good stead now, as are the canned fruit and convenience foods I put by in the pantry.  

I find myself especially grateful for home canned soups.  They're making me some wonderful, warming lunches; both better for me and much less expensive than I could buy from any of the restaurants near my office.

Here's what we ate last week:

Monday, January 7:

Tuesday, January 8:

Wednesday, January 9:
  • Breakfast - Poached eggs and cheese grits
  • Supper - Chicken salad sandwiches on whole wheat bread, carrot and celery sticks, cucumber slices, home canned peaches.

Thursday, January 10:
  • Breakfast - Cinnamon raisin bagels, cream cheese, bananas
  • Supper - Clean out the fridge casserole made with leftover chicken breast, leftover vegetables, the juices from roasting the chicken in the slow cooker, and topped with homemade dressing, oat rich chocolate cake (from the freezer)

Friday, January 11:
  • Breakfast - Boiled eggs, multigrain toast, oranges
  • Supper - A salad of red leaf lettuce, spinach, red onion, pickled beat, shredded carrots, chick peas, cubed gouda, and a honey mustard vinaigrette, toasted rye bread rolls (from the freezer), canned cherries

Saturday, January 12:

Sunday, January 13:
  • Breakfast - Oatmeal and applesauce
  • Supper - Liver and onions with gravy made from home canned beef stock, mashed potatoes, homemade mixed vegetables (cubed carrots steamed together with peas and corn from the freezer), warm gingerbread cake with lemon sauce.

4 comments:

Cooking with Mary and Friends said...

Love it! Very frugal, and we do that here too! We had a roast chicken yesterday with stuffing, broccoli casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy ... that was lunch today for both of us, leftover meat was sliced and in the freezer for another dinner ... then I cooked the carcass today for stock I'm making an Italian Chicken Soup with ... I will pressure can that for a quick dinner another night!

Lois Christensen said...

I like how your menu has desserts from the freezer! GREAT idea!

Aunt B said...

Thank you Mary. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. :) I'm so grateful for my pressure canner too. It allows me to turn leftovers into convenience food that comes in really handy on busy days.

Aunt B said...

Thanks Lois. :) The desserts in the freezer work very well for us because I'm not eating them these days but my fella is. By portioning them out from the freezer as we need to, there's far less waste.