We did that last week with slow cooker roast chicken. I cooked it on Tuesday, and we made supper from the leftovers on Wednesday and Thursday. We got a lunch out of it too, and the carcass is in the freezer awaiting my next batch of chicken stock.
We made good use of our pantry and freezer stocks this week too. I've taken on a few hours of extra work each week, after my regular office job, and it's leaving me less time to prepare supper. The baking I did before Christmas and stashed away is standing us in good stead now, as are the canned fruit and convenience foods I put by in the pantry.
I find myself especially grateful for home canned soups. They're making me some wonderful, warming lunches; both better for me and much less expensive than I could buy from any of the restaurants near my office.
Here's what we ate last week:
Monday, January 7:
Tuesday, January 8:
- Breakfast - Breakfast parfaits made from crumbled cranberry orange bran muffins (from the freezer), orange sections, and homemade yogurt, topped with a little homemade granola
- Supper - Slow cooker roast chicken, carrots, turnips, and potatoes all cooked in the slow cooker with the chicken, Skor bar cookies (from the freezer)
Wednesday, January 9:
- Breakfast - Poached eggs and cheese grits
- Supper - Chicken salad sandwiches on whole wheat bread, carrot and celery sticks, cucumber slices, home canned peaches.
Thursday, January 10:
- Breakfast - Cinnamon raisin bagels, cream cheese, bananas
- Supper - Clean out the fridge casserole made with leftover chicken breast, leftover vegetables, the juices from roasting the chicken in the slow cooker, and topped with homemade dressing, oat rich chocolate cake (from the freezer)
Friday, January 11:
- Breakfast - Boiled eggs, multigrain toast, oranges
- Supper - A salad of red leaf lettuce, spinach, red onion, pickled beat, shredded carrots, chick peas, cubed gouda, and a honey mustard vinaigrette, toasted rye bread rolls (from the freezer), canned cherries
Saturday, January 12:
Sunday, January 13:
- Breakfast - Oatmeal and applesauce
- Supper - Liver and onions with gravy made from home canned beef stock, mashed potatoes, homemade mixed vegetables (cubed carrots steamed together with peas and corn from the freezer), warm gingerbread cake with lemon sauce.