Tuesday 8 May 2012

What We Ate, April 30 - May 6


It'll be interesting to see how May's food budget shapes up.  I've returned to working full time outside my home and we are struggling to re-establish some sort of routine. 

Meal planning has been a day-to-day thing with us, based upon what's in the pantry, but that's clearly not working with my new schedule.  If we're to eat before bedtime on work nights, I'm clearly going to have to do some forward planning.  Baby steps: This week I'm trying to do at least some of the next day's meal preparation each evening before I go to bed.

Because I've been in a celebratory mood thanks to my new job, we indulged in both asaparagus and portabella mushrooms this week.  Both are expensive and rarely seen on our dinner table.  We enjoyed them very much.

I read on line today that the first of the local asparagus is now available.  It's not any less expensive than the imported stuff but much more fresh and tasty.  I like it that I know exactly where it comes from and who has grown it.  We're likely to indulge in asparagus at least once or twice more while it's in season.

Spot prawns are in season too.  We make a point of enjoying them at least once while they're available from local fishermen. 

It's looking to be an expensive month. 

Having an additional paycheque presents a big temptation when it comes to expanding our grocery budget.  I'm going to have to work at reigning myself in. 

Here's what we ate last week:

Monday, April 30:
  • Breakfast - Orange and cranberry scones, canned pears
  • Supper - Butter crumbed eggs, roasted asparagus, barley cooked risotto style in mushroom stock, apple crisp.
Tuesday, May 1:
  • Breakfast - Leftover apple crisp, yogurt
  • Supper - Pork loin chops baked in homemade creamed corn, brown rice, celery salad, strawberry mousse birthday cake (baked for my sister-in-law's birthday).
Wednesday, May 2:
  • Breakfast - Toast and peanut butter, prunes
  • Supper - Rotisserie chicken, veggie fried rice, steamed carrots, oranges
Thursday, May 3:
  • Breakfast - Rice and beans
  • Supper - Portabella burgers, oven fries, a salad of leaf lettuce, shredded carrot, and cucumber with tomato-jalapeno vinaigrette, canned peaches
Friday, May 4:
Saturday, May 5:
  • Breakfast - Oatmeal and applesauce
  • Supper - Hummus, carrot and celery sticks, cucumber, homemade flat bread (from the freezer), pears in brown sugar syrup with ginger
Sunday, May 6:
  • Breakfast - Granola, yogurt
  • Supper - Tuna melts on whole wheat bread, grilled tomatoes, oranges

2 comments:

Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch said...

I love your photo so tasty looking! Have a great week!

Aunt B said...

Thank you Serena. :) You can find the recipe that goes with the photo at http://auntbbudget.blogspot.ca/2012/05/some-years-ago-i-took-cookbook-by-edna.html or by clicking on the potato and chicken cake link in the menus above.

I hope that your week is a happy one too. :)