Friday 8 June 2012

Creamy Pea Soup

 
This recipe got a split decision at our house.  I really liked it and my husband really...didn't.  I think it may have been because, when he heard "pea soup," he came to the table expecting the flavour of split peas and encountered something very different.  This soup is as different from split pea soup as it is possible for two soups made from the same vegetable to be.
I found this recipe in the April 2011 edition of Cook's Illustrated, "Soups and Stews."  When making this batch, I followed the instructions from the original recipe but made some substitutions based upon what I had on hand.  It was simple to make and, I thought, quite tasty.

I enjoyed the fresh taste and the vivid green colour.  It's a good thing I liked it:  Since my fella didn't, I ended up eating it for lunch all week long!

To make Creamy Pea Soup, you'll need:

  • 4 Tablespoons butter
  • 1 bunch of green onions (scallions), sliced
  • 2 Tablespoons flour
  • 3-1/2 cups vegetable stock
  • 4-1/2 cups frozen peas
  • the leaves from one head of romaine lettuce, washed and torn into pieces, with the tough center stems removed
  • 1/2 cup low fat evaporated milk
  • salt and pepper to taste
Measure the frozen peas into a bowl so that they can begin to thaw while you're starting the soup.

Melt the butter over medium heat and saute the green onions in the butter.  When the onions are tender, stir in the flour and cook it for about three minutes.


Mix in the vegetable stock and cook, stirring occasionally, until it comes to a boil.


Add in the peas and lettuce and cook just until the peas are thawed.  The lettuce should wilt but still remain bright green.


Working in batches, puree the soup until smooth.  Return the puree to the pot and stir in the evaporated milk.  Heat the soup until hot, but not boiling.  Season it to taste.


Serve immediately.  Leftovers can be stored in the fridge and reheated.

This soup would probably work well as a sauce, perhaps in a spring pasta or for a vegetable casserole or pie.




No comments: