Thursday 14 June 2012

Rhubarb Spice Pancakes


Last month Over the Big Moon shared a smart tip about pancakes.  She makes a double batch and then freezes some for use during the week.  I decided to take her advice and cook ahead this weekend and, since I had stewed rhubarb on hand, to make some rhubarb spice pancakes.

I made my pancakes from the cinnamon pumpkin pancake recipe in Country Living Country Mornings Cookbook.  Pumpkin is not acidic but rhubarb is, so I amended the ingredients to include some baking soda.  I omitted the nutmeg and used more ginger than called for.  Other than that, I left the recipe unchanged.

I made a double batch of the recipe and all of my photos show those quantities.  The recipe given here is for a single batch.

To make Rhubarb Spice Pancakes, you'll need:

  • 2 cups flour (You can use up to 1 cup whole wheat flour if you'd like to.)
  • 2 Tablespoons brown sugar, packed
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1-3/4 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup stewed rhubarb
  • 1 egg
  • 2 Tablespoons oil (I used canola oil)

Mix together the dry ingredients until well combined.

In a seperate bowl, combine the milk, rhubarb, egg, and oil.


Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.  Add in the wet mixture and stir just until the ingredients are combined.  The batter should still be lumpy.


Ladle the pancakes onto a non-stick griddle or greased pan and cook them over medium high heat until several bubbles burst on top and the bottom is light brown.  Turn and cook the other side of the pancakes until they're browned too.  If you touch the cakes lightly with your finger, it should leave no imprint.

These pancakes are quite thick and can take a little while to cook through.  If you wish to make thinner cakes, add a bit more milk to the batter.

I cooled my pancakes on a rack and then transferred them to a recycled bakery container for storage in the freezer.


To reheat them, I preheated the oven to 350F and then placed the pancakes directly on the oven rack for 5 minutes.
____________________________________
Original recipe source:  Country Living Country Mornings Cookbook, editor: Lucy Wing, pub. Hearst Books, New York, 1989

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks so delicious! i love rhubarb in any form, have bookmarked your recipe. And so clever to freeze half of it!
love
jutta

Aunt B said...

I'm glad you like the recipe Jutta. Thank you for stopping by to read it.

Anonymous said...

You have some awesome rhubarb recipes. I just picked some and put it in the freezer last week. Perfect!! My daughter will often make a big batch of waffles on the weekend and freeze them for the week! Perfect for those hurried mornings! Nice to know you stopped in! Have a great weekend.

Aunt B said...

Thank you Tanya. I'm glad you enjoyed the recipes. Enjoy your weekend too. :)