Tuesday 12 June 2012

Rhubarb, Orange, and Ginger Muffins


I enjoy a muffin for breakfast.  I often bake them on the weekends and store them in the freezer so that I can have them every morning through the week. 

Because they're so simple to make, I like to change my muffin recipes up fairly often  .This week we had stewed rhubarb in the fridge so I adapted one of my favourite recipes to incorporate it. 

The muffins smelled heavenly while they were baking and turned out very well, with a nice bright flavour.  My husband has been having them for breakfast and for lunch.  They're not going to last through the week this time.  :)

To make Rhubarb, Orange and Ginger muffins, you'll need:

  • 2 eggs
  • 1-1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
  • the zest of one large navel orange (about 1 Tablespoon)
  • the juice of one large navel orange with enough stewed rhubarb added to make 1-1/2 cups total
  • 1 cup canola oil (or other neutrally flavoured oil)
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 cups uncooked rolled oats (not instant)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup of finely diced candied ginger
Beat the eggs in a large bowl.  Add in the btrown sugar, orange zest, orange juice and rhubarb mixture, and oil.  Stir until well combined.


In a seperate bowl, mix together the flour, rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger until well combined. 

Add the candied ginger to the dry mixture.  The pieces tend to stick to each other so you'll need to use your fingers to break them up, toss them through the mixture and ensure that they're coated with flour.

Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir just until combined.  The batter will be lumpy.


Spoon the batter into oiled muffin cups, filling each cup almost to the top.  I got 18 muffins out of this batch.


Bake the muffins on the center rack of at 350F for about 25 minutes, until they spring back when lightly touched.  Cool the muffins in the pan for 10 minutes or so before transferring them to a rack to cool completely.
________________________________________
This post is linked to Weekend Potluck hosted by Sunflower Supper Club, Meet Penny, The Better Baker, Life as a Lofthouse, 4 Little Fergusons, and The Country Cook,  to Gallery of Favorites hosted by Premeditated Leftovers and The 21st Century Housewife, to Foodie Friday hosted by Rattlebridge Farm, to Scrumptious Sunday hosted by Addicted to Recipes, Sunday Round Up with Heather and Kayla, to CraftOManiac Monday hosted by Craft-O-Maniac, Busy Monday hosted by A Pinch of Joy, Tuesday To Do Party hosted by The Blackberry Vine, to Tip Me Tuesday hosted by Tip Junkie, to Delicious Dish Tuesday hosted by Coping With Frugality, Mama Chocolate, and Full Time Mama, to Watcha Whipped Up Wednesday hosted by DJ's Sugar Shack, to Cast Party Wednesday hosted by Lady Behind the Curtain, to Look What I Made! hosted by Creations by Kara, to Wonderful Wednesday hosted by Printabelle, to Wow Me Wednesday hosted by Polka Dots on Parade, to Thursday's Treasures hosted by Recipes for my Boys,  to Tastetastic Thursday hosted by A Little Nosh, and to Foodie Friday hosted by Not Your Ordinary Recipes.  




    Gallery of Favorites

   Addicted to Recipes Button, Page button

    

 apinchofjoy.com   Tuesday To Do Party  Tip Junkie handmade projects

  Coping With Frugality  DJ’s Sugar Shack

 Cast Party Wednesday    Creations by Kara  

 

21 comments:

chow and chatter said...

great muffins I need to get some rhubarb, never really sure what to do with it :-)

Aunt B said...

Thank you Rebecca. We love rhubarb at our house and it's super good for us. :)

Betsy Brock said...

these sound delicious! thanks so much for the recipe!

Aunt B said...

Thanks Betsy, and thank you for stopping by to check it out. :)

April J Harris said...

These muffins sound absolutely delicious - what a lovely seasonal idea! I really like the addition of the candied ginger - scrumptious!

April J Harris said...

Your rhubarb, orange and ginger muffins sound so good - I love the addition of the candied ginger. What a lovely seasonal recipe!

allisamazing said...

These sound delicious and perfect for breakfast!

Aunt B said...

Thank you April. I'm glad you like the recipe. :)

Aunt B said...

I'm glad you like the recipe. Thank you for stopping by to check it out. :)

Printabelle said...

I love a good muffin, too, I've never had a muffin with rhubarb, though, it sounds delicious!

Aunt B said...

I'm glad you like the recipe. Thank you so much for providing me with the opportunity to share it. :)

Becky McNeer said...

I made a rhubarb recipe for the first time this year and loved it! Can't wait to see this one! Please link up to Foodie Friday

Aunt B said...

Will do. Thank you for the invitation. :)

Unknown said...

I just wanted to let you know, you are being featured on my blog today! I am finally back and getting caught up on all the parties I missed. Come on over and grab a featured button :)
xoxo
Heather
www.HeatherlyLoves.com

Aunt B said...

Thank you so much Heather. I appreciate it very much. :)

Charlene@APinchofJoy said...

This sounds yummy! Wouldn't have thought of adding ginger to rhubarb -- sounds like a nice combination! Thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday at A Pinch of Joy. Hope to see you again soon!

Aunt B said...

I'm glad you like the idea. Thank you so much for hosting Busy Monday. I appreciate the opportunity to share my recipe.

Becky McNeer said...

Yay, you came to the party! So glad you linked up to Foodie Friday!

Aunt B said...

Thanks again for inviting me. :) I'll see you next Friday.

Unknown said...

These look sooooo good!! I am your newest follower! Would love for you to visit mine!

riversrecipereview.blogspot.com

Aunt B said...

Thanks for joining in the conversation River. I'm following your blog now.