Monday 25 June 2012

What We Ate June 18 - 24



I'm pretty careful about what we eat.  I try hard to make sure that we get nutritious balanced meals, and that we do so while staying within our budget.

Although I try to provide variety, my meal planning follows an established format, including one large-ish weekend supper from whose leftovers we derive at least a couple of meals during the week, and at least three meatless dinners.  We try to keep our portions moderate and, although we eat some sweets, our desserts lean heavily towards either fresh fruit or fruit I've canned myself.

This week I strayed a fair way from our usual routine.  Our large dinner was served on Tuesday night instead of on the weekend.  On Wednesday I cooked lunch at the office and, having eaten a large meal mid-day, wanted just a banana and a cup of tea for supper.  My husband was left to forage for himself.  We had company on Sunday and cooked a lot more food than I normally prepare.

Somehow, it seemed like a lot of food. Our tummies are 'way too full!  We're looking to lighten things up a bit in the coming week.

Here's what we ate last week:

Monday:



Tuesday:


  • Breakfast - Oatmeal and applesauce
  • Supper - Roast chicken, stuffing, roasted parmesan green beans, roasted tomatoes, homemade peach ice cream


Wednesday:
 

  • Breakfast - Raised waffles, canned cherries
  • Supper - Banana and tea for me, chicken sandwich on whole wheat bread, dill pickles, and celery sticks for my fella.


Thursday:


  • Breakfast - Granola, canned peaches
  • Supper - Salad of leaf lettuce, red onion, radish, celery, shredded carrot, pickled beets, quartered hard boiled eggs, and homemade ranch dressing, oranges


Friday:


  • Breakfast - Apple slices, cheddar, whole wheat toast
  • Supper - Scrambled eggs, homemade hash browns, sliced tomatoes, yogurt, pear butter


Saturday:




Sunday:


  • Breakfast - Oatmeal and applesauce
  • Supper - Slow cooker teriyaki pork, almond chicken, stir fry of carrots, bell peppers, onions, and green beans in garlic black bean sauce, steamed broccoli, vegetable spring rolls, brown rice, with individual peach, and lemon cake trifles for dessert.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love seeing your menus each week! And I'm just sayin that your spiced peach muffin with melted mozz sounds amazing. Love the combination of the two! :)

Aunt B said...

Thanks Della. It made a mighty nice breakfast. :)