I'm feeling entirely tired of winter.
I have a bad case of the blahs.
I'm bored with winter vegetables.
I want tender new lettuces fresh from the garden, spears of asparagus thin as pencils, peppery watercress fresh from a stream, and the dark green flavour of tender new nettles foraged on my walks.
I want fresh rhubarb, dammit!
It will be a while before I see these things. The farm market is still a festival of root vegetables, cabbage, and squash, and we have to make the best of what's on offer.
I did find some very pretty eggplant this week, and used the tomatoes I'd bought at the farm market last weekend, so there was at least a little taste of sunshine in our menu. We also ate a lot of foods from the pantry and freezer, doing our best to provide some variety while using what we had on hand.
On Friday we treated ourselves to our once-monthly restaurant meal, and enjoyed a traditional English fish and chips dinner. It was delicious!
Here's what we ate last week:
Monday, January 28:
- Breakfast - Poached eggs and English muffins
- Supper - A salad of butter lettuce, tomato, cucumber, red onion, and chick peas with homemade Green Goddess dressing, cheese toasts on taco bread, banana raisin bread pudding (leftover from Sunday's dinner)
Tuesday, January 29:
- Breakfast - Peanut butter, marmalade, and raisin sandwiches on whole wheat toast
- Supper - Turkey and eggplant parmagiana casserole, salad (leftover from Monday's dinner), parfaits of oat rich chocolate cake (from the freezer), home canned cherry pie filling, and chocolate pudding
Wednesday, January 30:
- Breakfast - Homemade granola and homemade yogurt
- Supper - Meat pies made with ground beef canned in beer, weekday mushrooms, roasted tomato wedges, roasted cabbage, canned pears and blackberries
Thursday, January 31:
- Breakfast - All beef hot dog with sauteed onions, sauerkraut and mustard on a whole wheat bun
- Supper - Gouda and green onion puffy omelette, cucumber and red onion salad, lemon thumbprint cookies
Friday, February 1:
- Breakfast - Oatmeal and canned peaches
- Supper - Take out fish and chips, coleslaw, homemade sticky toffee pudding
Saturday, February 2:
- Breakfast - Apple slices and sliced cheddar
- Supper - White bean soup (from the freezer), grilled gouda, tomato, and guacamole sandwiches on home baked multi-grain bread
Sunday, February 3: