Tuesday 5 March 2013

Baked Egg Stuffed Potatoes


I enjoy a twice baked potato.  They make a good, quick meal and they're a great way to stretch small amounts of leftovers into a meal for the two of us.  I like them so much that, whenever I'm baking potatoes, I bake extra just so that I can plan on serving twice baked potatoes soon after.

Baked eggs are big on my list of good things too.  They're simple to make, infinitely variable, and you can easily make enough for just a few people or enough for a crowd in the same small amount of time.

You can imagine, then, how taken I would be with the idea of a baked egg cooked inside a twice baked potato.  

When Dor from La Difference Catering shared the idea on Jams'n'Pans' Facebook page a while back, I knew I had to give it a try.  I made some for supper that very night and we both liked them a lot. 

With nothing more than a simple salad on the side, these baked egg stuffed potatoes make a complete, satisfying, and frugal meal.  I'm sure they'll be appearing on our table again and again.

To make Baked Egg Stuffed Potatoes, you'll need:




  • 1 large russet potato, baked, with the insides scooped out and the skins reserved
  • 1 cup of grated cheese (I used sharp white cheddar)
  • 1/2 cup sliced green onion (scallion)
  • about 2 Tablespoons of ranch dressing (I make my own using homemade yogurt, a little milk, and this homemade mix from Tara Cooks)
  • 2 eggs


Place the reserved shells from the cooked potato on a parchment lined baking sheet.

Transfer the flesh you've scooped from the potato into a large-ish bowl, and mash it.  

Mix in the grated cheese and green onion.

Add enough ranch dressing to moisten the mixture so it holds together, but not so much that it becomes too loose to hold its shape.

Portion the filling back into the potato shells and shape it into a cup.  The filling will sit well above the edges of the potato skin.



Crack an egg into each prepared potato half.



Bake the assembled baked egg stuffed potatoes on the middle rack of a 350F oven until the eggs are cooked as you like them.  (We like ours medium, which took about 20 minutes.)



Serve the cooked potatoes as soon as they come out of the oven.