Tuesday 10 July 2012

Bacon, Apple, and Brie Grilled Cheese



My guy loves a sandwich.  Sandwiches rank in the top three of his go-to foods when I’m not at home, right after oatmeal raisin cookies and cold baked beans eaten straight from the tin.  I’m sure that, if I didn’t cook, he would eat sandwiches every single day.

Me…Not so much.  I don’t dislike sandwiches.  They’re an efficient way to get food on the plate or into my lunch bag, and some of them are quite tasty.   It’s just that I rarely find a sandwich exciting.  If you asked me to make a menu for my last supper, sandwiches would not be included.

That having been said, every so often there comes a group of ingredients that just need to be made into a sandwich.  Like the ones I used to make this grilled cheese sandwich last week:


 I cut two slices of fresh baked white bread.


I put grainy mustard on one slice and Brie on the other.


I topped the Brie with cooked bacon


and thinly sliced apple.


I buttered the outside of one slice of bread and put the sandwich, butter side down, in a pre-heated pan, over medium heat.  I buttered the other slice of bread while the sandwich was in the pan.


I cooked the sandwich until the bread was crunchy and golden, and the cheese all nice and melty.


I sliced it in half, put it on a plate and ate it


all


up.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apple on a sandwich must add a nice clean crunch. Sounds fantastic.

Aunt B said...

Thank you. The apple did add good texture. :) Thanks for stopping by to check out the post.

Itsnotjustabouttherecipe said...

Hello Aunt B! I'm stopping by to let you know I've nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award. You can find more information at http://bit.ly/MimOXV. Congratulations! You have a great website!!

Aunt B said...

Thank you so much Stephanie. I'm honoured! I'll post it forward later today. :)

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

What a great combination of ingredients! This takes sandwiches to a whole new level :)

Aunt B said...

Thank you April. :)