Monday 9 July 2012

Poached Eggs and Beet Greens

Aren't these beets beautiful?  We bought them at Russell Farms Market last weekend.  They grow them right there, in the fields beside the market.




We bought two bunches of beets, with their beautiful fresh greens attached.  

To prep them, I dumped a bunch at a time into the sink and gave them a couple of soaks and several rinses.  

I removed the leaves from the beets and set them aside. Working a batch at a time, I dried them in my salad spinner, then wrapped them in kitchen towels and stored them in plastic bags. 

I cut off the beet stems and set them aside to use for stock.  

I left the tips and tails on the beetroots, let them drain, then wrapped them in a kitchen towel and stored them in my vegetable crisper for meals later in the week.  

On Monday, we had beet greens and poached eggs for supper.

To make them, I began by giving the greens another quick rinse in the sink.  While they were soaking, I brought the egg poaching water to a simmer.

I transferred the greens to a big pot, with just the water that was clinging to their leaves.




I cooked the greens over medium-high heat, stirring often.  

When the leaves were wilted and most of the water evaporated, I added in a tablespoon of bacon fat (I know it's breaking the Meatless Monday rules but it tastes good!) and a teaspoon of cider vinegar.  




I put the eggs in the poaching water and continued to cook the greens until all the water had evaporated and the bacon fat and vinegar were distributed throughout.



I plated the poached eggs on top of the beet greens and served them immediately, with some warm cornbread on the side.  It was delicious.
_____________________________________


This recipe is linked to the Recipe Box at Bizzy Bakes.


Recipe Box

8 comments:

Winnie said...

I think it's a great supper!
And I do have some beets at home :)

Aunt B said...

I'm glad you like it Winnie. :) I like to keep beets on hand. So many good things you can do with them.

Anonymous said...

I know, I would love this. I am just discovering beet leaves. I would love it, if you would link this to the Recipe Box.

It will be a reminder to me to use those leaves and I am sure others will love this recipe.

http://bizzybakesb.blogspot.com/2012/07/recipe-box-5-zucchini-alfredo-lunch-is.html

Aunt B said...

Thank you for the invitation. I"m glad you like the recipe. I'm headed over to link it up now.

Unknown said...

Hi, I am visiting via Recipe Box. This is such a beautiful salad. Never had poached eggs on salad and that sounds like a great idea. Mich@www.pieceofcake.sg

Aunt B said...

Thanks for stopping by to check out the recipe Michele. I'm glad you like it.

Zaftig Diva said...

Oh, that looks incredible. I love beet greens and I love eggs. Plus the coloring is equally delicious.

Aunt B said...

Thank you. I'm glad you like it. Thank you for stopping by to visit.