Monday 30 July 2012

What We Ate July 23 - 29



I try to stay positive about stuff, I really do, but I’m really concerned about food prices right now.  I’m reading all sorts of reports forecasting steep price increases as a result of crop loss this season.  Apparently Mother Nature and big farming are not playing well together.

My response to worries about food prices, the job market, interest rates, and or other big issues beyond my control is always pretty much the same:  I stock my pantry.  Having full cupboards has gotten me through many a tough time.  I’ve had good cause during the lean seasons to be grateful for jars put up in the summertime when food is plentiful.  

So that’s what I’m doing now:  canning, and canning, and canning.  

I’ve put by so much food that we need to build new shelves to store it!

It seems paradoxical, I know, but when I’m spending hours and hours canning in the kitchen, meal preparation often gets pushed aside or neglected.  Once again, my husband has been a life saver; stepping into the breach and taking over much of the day-to-day cooking this week. 

We kept our meals pretty simple this week, but still managed to eat very well.  Here’s what we ate:

Monday, July 23:


Tuesday, July 24:
  • Breakfast – Boiled eggs, whole wheat toast, prunes
  • Supper – Slow cooker pinto beans and ham, sliced tomatoes and bell pepper with ranch dip, parfaits made from leftover tapioca pudding, nectarines, and lemon cake (from the freezer)


Wednesday, July 25:
  • Breakfast – Raisin and chai scones, cheddar cheese
  • Supper –  Steak, foil wrapped spuds, veggies in papillote (parchment envelopes) - all cooked on the grill, cherries and cream for dessert


Thursday, July 26:
  • Breakfast – Oatmeal and applesauce
  • Supper – Eggs baked in tomatoes, veggie hash made with leftover potatoes, onions, chopped red pepper and mushrooms, canned peaches for dessert


Friday, July 27:
  • Breakfast – Peanut butter and banana sandwiches on multigrain bread
  • Supper – Our monthly dinner out.  We went to a local Cantonese restaurant.  :)


Saturday, July 28:


Sunday, July 29:

4 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

Your menu looks really good. I went to the link for the biscuits and the vegetable curry. Both look really good as well! Enjoy!

Aunt B said...

Thanks for stopping by to check it out. :)

JoAnn SweetPepperRose said...

I seriously need to plan meals better - I'm a splurdge buyer for sure, what I'm in the mood for - your dish looks delish!
JoAnn

Aunt B said...

JoAnn, I tend to be a splurge buyer too, especially if I shop when I'm hungry. My fella is a far better shopper than me - he sticks to the list and doesn't buy extras - so I often send him to the grocery store. :)