Wednesday 25 April 2012

Skabetti Spuds


When we were kids, my brother, sister, and I all had our own particular way of saying “spaghetti.”  My brother said “pisketti,” my sister said “sketti,” and I called it “skabetti.”  Over the years, these childhood mispronunciations became family touchstones.  We sometimes use them still so, when I put spaghetti and meatballs on the table on Sunday, I was amused to hear my husband exclaim “Oh good! Skabetti!”

Last night, looking at the leftover meatballs and sauce in the fridge, “Skabetti Spuds” came immediately to mind.  We do enjoy a twice baked potato at our house, and some chopped meatballs and and a little spaghetti sauce looked to me to have good potato potential. 

The potatoes turned out very well.  Served with a simple salad, they made a comforting, nutritious meal.

To make Skabetti Spuds, you’ll need:



  • 2 leftover baked potatoes
  • Leftover meatballs
  • Leftover spaghetti sauce
  • Grated mozzerella and edam (I keep this in the freezer)
  • Grated parmesan cheese (not pictured)
Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides, leaving a thick enough wall around the skins that they retain their shape.


Mash the scooped-out potatoes.  Cut up the meatballs to make a quantity of chopped meat roughly equal to the mashed potatoes.


Mix in the spaghetti sauce a little at a time until the ingredients are moistened but not too loose.

Spoon the filling into the potato skins and top them with the grated mozzerella and edam.


Bake the potatoes in a 350˚F oven for about 20 minutes. Remove them from the oven and spoon some grated parmesan over the top of each spud.  Return them to the oven and bake them just until the parmesan begins to take on a little colour.


Serve immediately.

4 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Those baked potato skins look so yummy and satisfying!

Aunt B said...

Thank you Angie. :) We enjoyed them.

Alea Milham said...

What a delicious idea! I will definitely be making this the next time I have leftover spaghetti sauce.

Aunt B said...

I'm glad you like the idea Alea. Thanks for stopping by to check it out.